Thursday, March 14, 2013

What's for Lunch? | Chicken Tortilla Soup


As you can probably tell by now, I eat a lot of soups for lunch. The reason being that they are very inexpensive in my cafeteria at work compared to the other offerings and they are normally low in calories for a 16oz cup of soup. Today I had chicken tortilla soup. This soup is made with a rich tomato and ancho chili with stock, with chunks of chicken and cilantro. It is served with fried tortilla strips and cheddar cheese but I decided to forgo those two things for the sake of saving calories.

I like eating in the cafeteria at work for lunch because I can easily go online and get all the nutritional information for the foods that were served during the week. It is an easy way for me to plan my meals that I eat at work ahead of time so that I already have a low calorie option in mind. This soup was 300 calories for 16 ounces. The calories included the tortilla strips and cheddar cheese, which I did not have, so I probably ended up eating less than 300 calories. I paired the soup with a piece of fruit and that was lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment