Thursday, March 7, 2013

My Recent Health Evaulation Indicated I'm Overweight

I did a post a while back about BMI. I calculated that I needed to be 136 pounds to be in a normal BMI range but even at that weight, I would be borderline overweight as far as BMI. Although I know BMI an important indication of a healthy weight, it just feels like the way it is calculated, I have to be super skinny in order to be in the normal (not overweight or obese) BMI range.

I recently had a health assessment done where they tested a lot of things including total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, glucose levels, blood pressure, height and weight, and BMI. As you can see on my results sheet below, at 156 (what I weighed in at that day) I am overweight as far as BMI. Luckily, all of my other tests indicated a healthy/optimal score.


As a black woman, I’ve experience that black people tend view fuller figures as more attractive and “healthy.” If someone gets too skinny, you can hear friends and family ask “what is wrong, are you sick, are you stressed, you need to eat, etc.” I sometimes think the same things when I see that someone has thinned out significantly. So do you have to have a normal range BMI to truly be healthy? That is the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment