Monday, August 6, 2012

Week 1 Recap on Weight Watchers

Week 1 on WW did not go so great. This had nothing to do with the program but everything to do with me. The program is a very effective tool to assist with managing how much food you consume everyday so that you can create the caloric deficit needed to lose weight, but you must have the willpower to only eat the amount of points you have available to eat.

Monday – Friday I did well as far as willpower. I would eat oatmeal or fruit for breakfast at home and would pack my lunch and dinner to take to work. I get off work at 6pm and my commute home normally puts me at the house anywhere between 7:00-7:15pm.  I really want to stick with the goal of not eating after 7pm so I have been packing my dinner and eating it at work at approximately 5:30pm.  The only  problem with this is if I cook for my family when I get home, or if my fiancĂ© cooks, I am expected to eat when everyone else is eating.

For example, on Thursday night, I cooked some okra stew for my fiancĂ© to eat for dinner. He made some banku to go with it and when the banku was done he said, “Let’s eat.” I explained to him I had eaten dinner at work and that I was trying not to eat anything after 7pm anymore (this was around 9:30pm so even worse). Then he said something to the effect of how was I going to cook a delicious stew and not eat any myself. The stew was really good by the way. Anyway, I ended up eating the okra stew and banku that evening then had to search the internet to see if I could find the nutritional value for the food. Because it is Ghanaian (African) food, I cannot just plug the food into WW online and have the system pull up the points value for me. WW won’t even recognize something like banku. Luckily, I was able to find the nutritional information for both the okra stew and banku, although the okra stew’s recipe was little different from how I cooked it. I am sure the nutritional values will be slightly different but it gave me a pretty good idea of what I was eating and how many points to track.

By Saturday morning, I was still within my points allowance for the week so I just had to make it through the weekend which proved to be difficult because I was at home all weekend, bored majority of the time, and that is when I eat out of boredom. To make a long story short, I ate all kinds of stuff this weekend and I am sure I ate more points that I was allowed. I ate Nutrigrain bars, Fiber One Brownies w/ milk, bananas and cashews (one of my favorite snacks), and more African food such as spinach stew and jollof rice. I was not motivated to go online to try to track down the nutritional information for the African food again so I just didn’t track points this weekend.

So, what was the end result you ask?
Last Monday, 7/30 -- I weighed in at 172.2 lbs.
Today, 8/6 -- I weighed in at 170.8 lbs.
I lost 1.4 lbs.

I could have easily lost more if I would’ve stuck to the plan like I was supposed to but I am still happy because I lost weight. I will always be happy when I lose weight, even if it is just a small amount just because it is a loss and not a gain.

So on to Week 2 on WW. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment