Thursday, July 28, 2011

My Thoughts on Natural Hair vs. Relaxed Hair

In my adult life I have been natural and relaxed, so I can speak from both perspectives.
 
Natural

Relaxed


I believe how you choose to wear your hair is just that. It is simply a choice. I view it as simple as choosing what outfit to wear or what color to paint your living room. It is not a permanent decision. If you relax your hair, it will always grow out of your scalp with your natural texture and at anytime you can make the decision to go back natural. If you are natural, at anytime you can make the decision to relax.
 
Your hair should be a reflection of your personality, a reflection of your style....and some people like to switch up their style from time to time. That's what I did.
 
Natural
 
Relaxed
 
I was relaxed from probably third grade up until my early twenties. Then I decided to go natural and loved it!!! I wore my hair natural for maybe about four years before I decided to relax again, and guess what....I love my relaxed hair now too! To me it was never about conforming to a particular standard of beauty or embracing what God gave me, it was simply about expressing myself through my hair, whatever style I choose. I think if more people viewed hairstyles this way, there would be less judging and more acceptance when it comes to whether someone chooses to relax or wear their hair natural. I love all textures and I love my hair both natural and relaxed. Healthy hair is beautiful hair! I just choose to relax right now. I welcome your thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment