Thursday, July 28, 2011

Curent Hair Routine and Products

I will start documenting my journey to mid-back length hair on my next relaxer. Right now I am about 10 weeks post relaxer so my next relaxer will be very soon, probably within the next couple of weeks. I will then post pics so everyone can see my starting point. I believe I will be about arm pit length.

This is my current routine:


Shampoo once a week with Creme of Nature shampoo. I clarify once a month with Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo.



I alternate between Ors Replenishing Pak or ApHogee 2 min reconstructor after wash. One week I will use the ORS, the next week I will use ApHogee. If I use the ORS pak, I will deep condition for apprx. 30-40 minutes. I use protein every week because my hair does well with it. (I would not recommend someone else using protein conditioners every week unless you know how your hair will handle it because you can suffer protein overload).





After using the protein conditioner I will followup with a moisturizing conditioner.  The one I am currently using and loving is Suave Professionals brand because it works very well and is quite inexpensive compared to other conditioners.


I used to sit under the dryer to deep condition but that was too time consuming so now I only deep condition with a therapy wrap so that I am free to do other things while deep conditioning. It works soooo well.


                       

I will follow-up my wash and deep condition with a leave-in conditioner. I alternate between two: Neutrogena and Cantu. I may soon be finding a leave-in to replace the Neutrogena one very soon because it is expensive although it is a great product. I don't want to use the Cantu all the time because it is a protein leave-in conditioner. Although my hair likes protein, I try to limit my protein usage to deep conditioning.




I will use any of the two leave-in conditioners above to moisturize my hair once a day, usually at night, or I will use S-Curl.




I seal my hair with one of three oils: Coconut Oil, Olive Oil or Avocado Oil. I picked these three oils because they are the three that can actually penetrate the hair shaft. There are many other great oils out there but these three are my staples and I won't be using any other oils for sealing....that just helps keep things simple for me. Ofcourse, when I purchase my three oils I get unrefined, extra virgin oils so that I am getting all the great nutrients the oils have to offer.



One premixed oil that I love but am not currently using is Hot Six Oil. It so great that I felt it was worth mentioning. I've used this stuff in the past and it works great for sealing. I may revisit the product again in the future but right now I am only sealing with the three oils I mentioned above.



I oil my scalp three times a week with Jamaican Black castor oil. I always oil my scalp on wash days.




I relax my hair every 12 weeks with Optimum. I normally don't stretch my relaxers longer than that or I start experiencing breakage especially in the coarser areas of my head. I self relax and to use a no-lye rather than a lye relaxer becaue I've tried lye relaxers in the past and they've left me underprocessed (probably wouldn't have that problem if I went to a salon but I will not pay the money to do so). I have never had problem with the box no-lye relaxer kits so I will stick to what is working for me.


I don't use heat except for special occasions. I don't limit the amount heat I use every month so if I have three events going on in a month and I want to curl or flat iron my hair, I will do it. If I have nothing going on that month, then I won't use heat at all, it just depends. When I do use heat, I only use one heat protectant, Fantasia. It is awesome. I love this stuff. I don't think I will ever try another heat protectant.




I trim as needed which is usually once a year. I take prenatal vitamins only right now because I am breastfeeding and want to be sure that what I ingest is safe for my baby too, but once I stop breastfeeding, I will look into taking additional supplements.



That's my routine. Complete with all the products I am currently using. I will keep my blog updated with any changes to my routine as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment