Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Scalp Massages with Oil


I've read that scalp massages are a wonderful way to increase the speed of hair growth. This is because scalp massages promote blood flow and circulation to your scalp, thus feeding your follicles vitamins and minerals needed to promote healthy hair growth. In addition, scalp massages help you to relax and to relieve stress. I've done scalp massage in the past but have never really done them regularly enough to see how much of a difference it will make in my own hair growth. For this relaxer stretch I will do scalp massages at least 3 times a week and see if it makes a difference in my hair growth.

You can do scalp massages with or without oil. I am going to be using oil because of the added benefits oils have on your scalp. I will be using a carrier oil and an essential oil. A carrier oil is the oil that you use to dilute the essential oil because normally essential oils are too strong to be used alone. Good carrier oils for scalps massages are jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil. Some good essential oils to use are rosemary oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil.  I only named a few carrier oils and essential oils but there are others out there that I am sure will work great, you just have to research what's available and choose what will work best for you.

I decided what would work best for me is coconut oil and either rosemary oil or peppermint oil. I will alternate between the two essential oils using coconut oil as my carrier oil. Coconut oil is good because it helps to strengthen hair strands which reduces breakage and it also reduces shedding. I chose rosemary because it is known for its ability to inhibit the natural shedding process, stimulate hair growth and strengthen hair roots and follicles. The cooling sensation of peppermint oil stimulates the hair follicle which promotes hair growth. Peppermint oil is also know to add shine and gloss to hair because of it conditioning properties.  It was important for me to choose oils that reduce shedding because I just had a baby two months ago and soon I will be reaching the stage where some ladies experience postpartum shedding. I have not noticed any so far, but if I can prevent it, I will definitely try.

I will do an update next relaxer on how my scalp massages are going. I may limit my use of castor oil on my scalp to only wash days to prevent having extra oily hair due to the scalp massages I will be doing with oil. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment