Friday, June 29, 2012

Stretching = Tangles

I will be 9-weeks post relaxer tomorrow and my new growth definitely reflects that. Since the last time I cut my hair, I have been making it a point to air dry only after I wash and condition my hair. This worked very well for the first 3-4 weeks. Recently, I have noticed that when I air dry, my hair is soft, but my new growth has dried in a manner where it is has curled around other strands of hair to a point that I could never get a comb through it (not that I would want to anyway), or my hands for that matter. And yes, I do detangle before I air dry. My roots become so tangled that last weekend when I washed and air-dried my hair, I had several knots that I had to gently remove with my hands, one of which I could not and had to cut out. Luckily, that knot was a small one and I only loss of few strands of hair in the process. 

My point is….I don’t want to encounter tangles and knots in the process of stretching my relaxers. This will lead to more damage than good. After I worked those knots out with my hands, I decided to blow dry my roots to straighten them out a bit. I did not want to flat iron them because that would be too much unnecessary direct heat, but just a few seconds of concentrated warm air from the blow dryer while gently combing through the roots will straighten them enough to where I don’t have to worry about tangles and knots all while making my hair more manageable overall.  

I think I will start letting my hair air dry first, then lightly go over the roots with a blow-dryer to relax them a little in the future when I am this far along in my stretch. I really wanted to no use heat at all except for rare special occasions but these tangles are kicking my butt. I don’t have this hair thing all figured out yet, but I think I am on the right track. I just got to keep at it. Talk to y’all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment